St Mary’s Church,
The Catholic Church of St Mary’s Harvington, shrine of St John Wall and the English Martyrs, was built in 1825.
SATURDAY 4th April 2020
Thank you to everyone who checks in to this website. We hope you are finding it useful during these days when we are unable to attend St Mary’s in person but want to stay connected and informed about everything going on in the parish.
- For up to date parish information please refer to the newsletter via the relevant tab/menu link.
- The Readings for Passion (Palm) Sunday may be found in full on the Universalis website: universalis.com/20200405/mass.htm
- Fr John’s homily for Sunday 5th April may be found on the ‘Readings and Homily’ tab/link.
- Once again may we draw your attention to possibility of watching live streaming of Masses from St Chad’s Cathedral, Birmingham and several churches in the West Midlands UK via: mcnmedia.tv/cameras/county/west-midlands
SATURDAY 28th March 2020
A few things to note for the week ahead:
- For the first time from this Sunday, 29th March, Masses at St Chad’s Cathedral will be live streamed daily. The launch Mass of this new live streaming facility will be at 11.00 am for the Rededication of England to Mary. Archbishop Bernard Longley will celebrate this Mass, concluding with the prayers of Rededication. https://www.stchadscathedral.org.uk/
- Fr John has again added his homily under the three Readings for this Sunday to be found on the ‘Readings & Homily’ tab above.
- Please see the NEWSLETTER for the week commencing 29th March by clicking on the tab above to keep up to date with Parish news.
- Don’t forget … clocks go FORWARD at 1.00 am on Sunday 29th March 2020!
TUESDAY 24th MARCH 2020
A MESSAGE FROM Fr John:
Following the announcement from the Prime Minister on Monday evening (23rd March) further steps must be taken to combat the spread of Coronavirus in order to keep each other safe, save lives and support the NHS.
Archbishop Bernard Longley has written today ‘As a sad but necessary consequence we must, from this morning, ensure that the doors of all churches and chapels in the Archdiocese are closed to the public and that they remain permanently locked until these restrictions are lifted. In this way we shall continue to play our part within every parish in fighting the Coronavirus and to show our solidarity with all those who are striving to overcome the current pandemic’.
At St Mary’s this means no one is allowed to enter the church premises at any time at all until restrictions are lifted.
Whilst writing may I remind you that Pope Francis has called on the world’s Christians and people of goodwill to join together to pray the Lord’s Prayer on Wednesday, 25th March at 11am UK time (midday in Rome).
Please be assured, I am remembering you and your loved ones in my daily Mass at St Marys.
God bless you all.
SUNDAY 22nd MARCH
Good Morning! It is likely to be a strange feeling not to be going to church to attend Mass in person today. At St Mary’s Fr John will be celebrating Mass privately without a congregation. Please remember him in your prayers. The Readings for today’s Mass and Fr John’s homily may be found on the ‘Readings & Homily’ tab above.
As Cardinal Vincent Nichols tells us: ‘Knowing that the Mass is being celebrated; joining in spiritually in that celebration; watching the live-streaming of the Mass; following its prayers at home; making an act of spiritual communion: this is how we share in the Sacrifice of Christ in these days. These are the ways in which we will sanctify Sunday, and indeed every day.’ www.birminghamdiocese.org.uk/news
Live- streaming of Masses is advertised on the Diocesan website (www.birminghamdiocese.org.uk). Here is a link to West Midlands churches: https://www.mcnmedia.tv/cameras/county/west-midlands
Please refer to this week’s NEWSLETTER for Parish news.
WEDNESDAY 18th MARCH
The CATHOLIC BISHOPS’ CONFERENCE OF ENGLAND AND WALES have issued a directive in response to the Coronavirus pandemic.
In order to keep each other safe, save lives and support the NHS, at this time we must not gather for public acts of worship in our churches. This will begin from Friday evening, 20th March 2020, until further notice. The full letter, signed by Vincent Cardinal Nichols, President and Archbishop Malcolm McMahon OP, Vice-President of the CBCEW may be found here:https://www.birminghamdiocese.
A message from Archbishop Bernard Longley may be found here: https://www.birminghamdiocese.org.uk/blog/archbishop-bernard-discusses-the-coronavirus
At St Mary’s, Masses will be said privately for the intentions already requested from Saturday 21st March onward. Whilst Mass is being celebrated privately the church will be closed but open for private prayer at all other times.
Confessions will be heard at 10.30am each Saturday following Fr John’s private celebration of Mass.
Cardinal Vincent Nichols offers a message of hope with Jesus Christ at its centre: www.youtube.com/channel/UCknR9Qdz8f_T4Mi6bHpVH3w
The Wednesday Discussion Group at St Mary’s will not meet until further notice. Wednesday Word documents may be found by copying and pasting this link: www.wednesdayword.org/parish/index.htm
STATIONS OF THE CROSS
Prayers and images of the Stations of the Cross displayed on the walls at St Mary’s may be found on the ‘Special Interest’ tab on this website.
As noted above, in order to keep each other safe, save lives and support the NHS, at this time we must not gather for public acts of worship in church. This will apply to all churches in England and Wales from Friday, 20th March 2020, until further notice.
Preparation and reception of sacraments
For more information about the preparation and receipt of sacraments please contact the Parish Priest.